Saturday, January 14, 2012

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review

I loved Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I loved Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. And now I love Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

First thing that greets you when you start up the game is the amazing graphics. I thought Oblivion was amazing when I first turned it on, and Skyrim did not disappoint me with the way they stepped it up. After almost 24 hours (non-consecutive) of playing this game, I am still enjoying it, and trying to accomplish so much. The sandbox style of gameplay is no stranger to the Elder Scrolls series, and Skyrim only takes it to the next level.

One thing that adds to Skyrim's sandbox style that was missing in Oblivion is the addition of sidequests that you can obtain from the various factions (called "guilds" in earlier games) that have no bearing on the story, but can earn you cash. Granted, these quests get a little repetitive (I can only steal the same item from different houses so many times before it gets old), but they are there, and there are several different variations within the different factions.

The plot is pretty good so far, but I'll be honest, I haven't beat the game yet. I am still too preoccupied with trying to get my heavy armor, shield toting warrior closer to invincibility and gaining rep with the Companions (fighter's guild); and also having my sneaky assassin/thief run the Dark Brotherhood (assassin's guild) and rise in ranks among the thieves' guild. If you want a plot summary, go to wikipedia. They've got one there.

The leveling system is much better than in Oblivion as well. You gain levels by leveling any skill, with the higher leveled skills affecting your level more so than the lower level ones. Each level gained grants you a point to spend in perks, which allow you to be even better or perform better feats with your skills. This allows for greater skill diversity and actual customization instead of using Oblivion's way, where once you leveled all your skills you were the same as everyone else.

Overall, this game is amazing. I was going to give this game some numbers, then I read my friend's post at http://www.zeroand09.com/2012/01/my-rating-system.html and decided to forego the number system, as he has. But, if you like RPGs, you will not be disappointed with Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Also, look for my next post on how to Break the Game. Zeroand09 hates those posts, but I can't help myself. I've had the game for only a week or so, and already I've "broken" it.

1 comment:

  1. Despite all the hype, I still can't get behind this game. Oblivion left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth and I'm not willing to risk my money again.

    It's good to see you writing again!

    ReplyDelete