Wednesday, January 25, 2012

All gave some, these 3 gave all.

Recently out here in Afghanistan, I attended a "Ramp Ceremony" for 3 EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) men. To understand EOD, think of the movie "Hurtlocker", only that movie was retarded and unrealistic. But EOD's job is basically to get rid of IEDs and assess explosives for different intelligence purposes.

A ramp ceremony is a solemn time, as it is a ceremony where they load bodies of fallen military personel into an aircraft to be sent home. My estimate was that about 200 to 250 people showed up for this ceremony. That night, I went back to my room and wrote a little poem about this time.

I am not that great at poetry, prose being more of a strong point for me. I went with a different rhyming pattern than I've tried before, but I think the message came through more with this pattern than if I had stuck with a traditional poetry pattern. Here it is:

They walked past slowly, solemnly. Their precious cargo in hand.
All had agreed to serve, but no one wants to die in a foreign land.
A C130 was there,
ready to sail through the air.

There were not Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines tonight.
Just Brothers and Sisters in Arms, fighting the same fight.
4 Uniforms in that land,
All fighting for the same flag.

“Detail, Attention!” A voice rang loud and clear in the cold.
Then we all snapped to, our thoughts on true heroes bold.
“Let us pray,” a chaplain said.
Then Psalms 23 was read.

“Present Arms!” the command came from somewhere to us.
And they marched past our lines, sad thoughts going through us.
We had fought alongside
These heroes who had died.

When I see a flag flying, I am proud you can be sure.
I fight for “Old Glory” and to preserve our future.
But I see now differently
Than what I once used to see.

A flag’s greatest honor is not flying up high for all to see.
But to honor heroes who died, like these flags honored these three.
And to show what they gave
When lives down they laid.


   - Woody

No comments:

Post a Comment