Sunday, April 8, 2012

What Gets Me: Impatience While Driving

   We've all seen it. The drivers who are so impatient that they do stupid things, like edge forward at stop lights, or cut people off in traffic. What amazes me is how little the gains these drivers actually make for such risks that they take. This type of thinking would make for horrible investors.
   Take, for example, someone traveling 10 miles. If the speed limit is 60mph, they'd get there (barring lights, etc) in 10 minutes. If they speed and travel 75mph, risking a nice ticket that will cost money for a ticket, and also insurance premiums, they'd get there in eight minutes. Wow, risking hundreds of dollars for two minutes of time? Where are you going that two minutes are going to make a difference?
   Another example that I have seen over and over is when someone is waiting to pull out into traffic. I'll be the last car. No one behind me. Yet this person will cut me off to get in front of me. How much sense does that make? Risking an accident to get in front of one car.
   Again, this is bad investment strategy. It'd be like risking hundreds of dollars in the hopes of making 10 dollars. I just don't get it.

   - Woody

No comments:

Post a Comment