Friday, April 20, 2012

Saint's Row: The Third Review

   I just beat Saint's Row: The Third, and boy was it a wild ride. This game review will be solely about the gameplay. This game is not a game for children, and is not "family friendly" in any way. There is intense language, and while there is no actual nudity, there is blurred out nudity.
   The game follows the leader of the gang "Third Street Saints" on a journey through a new city. The Saints start off on top of the world, with movie deals and sponsorships. But, when they run into an international gang called "The Syndicate", they lose everything and have to start from the bottom and work their way up. Along the way there is a lot of gang-on-gang violence, rescues, flying helicopters, and even some zombies.
   The graphhics aren't all that great, but there is a comic "over the top" feel throughout the game. The voice acting is ok, again staying with the comic theme.
   If you've ver played any of the Grand Theft Auto games, you've played this game. While playing this game, I had about 4 people ask me if I was playing GTA. I ended up putting about 35 hours into this game, and got an 87% completion rate. I could easily keep playing and get 100% (especially since I hit max level and am now impervious to all forms of damage), but I had no interest in repeating the same activities over and over again.
   At first, having enough cash to buy items was a problem. But once I took over most of the town, it became irrelevent. In fact, when I finished the game, I had $1.2 million. Eventually, you no longer need to worry about cash, and just need to worry about buying upgrades as they become available.
   The game plays as a FPS for most of the game, with the rest basically being a driving game. Aiming is easy, and fairly accurate. I found myself hardly ever actually "aiming" with the left trigger, and just firing. The driving controls are easy, and it was fun to zip around on a motorcycle trying to see how far I could jump or ride a wheelie.
   All in all, the game is a blast to play; just keep in mind that it is NOT a family friendly game at all.

   - Woody

No comments:

Post a Comment